Members of the Senate minority bloc calling themselves SB-11 or Solid Bloc 11 are pushing for Senator Sherwin Gatchalian to become the next Senate president, according to Senator Francis Pangilinan.
“We, of the SB-11 or Solid Bloc 11, all want Senator Sherwin ‘Win’ Gatchalian to become Senate President,” Pangilinan said in a statement.
Pangilinan cited Gatchalian’s performance during deliberations on the proposed 2026 national budget, saying the senator showed the ability to safeguard public funds and ensure government spending addresses the people’s needs.
Gatchalian previously chaired the Senate Committee on Finance before he was replaced earlier this month by Mark Villar.
“Principle-wise, Sen. Win is competent, steady, and fair. In realpolitik, he can unite a broader, reform-oriented Senate that is more balanced, more accountable, and acceptable even to some members of the current majority,” Pangilinan added.
He also noted that current Senate President Alan Peter Cayetano had reportedly expressed openness to supporting Gatchalian for the post.
Meanwhile, Panfilo Lacson described Gatchalian as “eminently qualified” to lead the Senate.
“He is capable, qualified and prepares for his work. In all the committee hearings he attended or presided over, he knew what he was talking about and he was prepared,” Lacson said in a radio interview.
Lacson added that Gatchalian is not only acceptable to the minority bloc but also to some members of the majority coalition.
“To the minority, it is non-negotiable that we redeem the Senate’s integrity,” he said.
On May 11, 13 senators voted to elect Cayetano as Senate president, replacing Vicente Sotto III in a surprise leadership change.
However, discussions on another possible reshuffle in Senate leadership continue, with Erwin Tulfo confirming Thursday that talks remain ongoing.
Ferdinand Marcos Jr. earlier said he would “wait and see” how developments unfold regarding the Senate leadership issue.
Speculation over a possible move to unseat Cayetano intensified following the shooting incident at the Senate on May 13 and the tensions surrounding the arrest warrant issued by the International Criminal Court against Ronald dela Rosa over his alleged role in the Duterte administration’s war on drugs.
During Monday’s plenary session, Senators Juan Miguel Zubiri and JV Ejercito identified themselves as members of the minority bloc.
The Senate currently consists of 13 members in the majority bloc and 11 in the minority bloc.

