5 journalists amongst 20 killed in Israeli strike on hospital, Gaza officers say

Rescuers and journalists amongst useless in double strike on Nasser hospital – Yolande Knell stories

No less than 20 folks, together with 5 journalists working for the worldwide media, have been killed in an Israeli strike on Nasser hospital within the southern Gaza Strip, the territory’s Hamas-run well being ministry says.

The journalists – some contracted and others freelance – labored for Reuters, AP, Al Jazeera and the Center East Eye, the information retailers confirmed.

Footage of the assault exhibits a second strike, after the preliminary hit, which occurred as rescuers attended the scene.

The Israel Protection Forces (IDF) says an investigation is being carried out into its assault on the hospital.

It added that it “doesn’t goal journalists as such”, however didn’t give particulars in regards to the strike.

The most recent deaths brings the variety of journalists killed in Gaza because the begin of the warfare there in October 2023 to just about 200.

Based on the Committee to Shield Journalists (CPJ), a number one physique which promotes press freedom, the warfare in Gaza has been the deadliest battle for journalists ever documented. It says extra press members have been killed there prior to now two years than had been killed worldwide within the prior three years.

Worldwide journalists have been banned by Israel from coming into the Gaza Strip independently because the begin of the warfare.

Some journalists have been taken into Gaza by the IDF below managed entry, however worldwide media retailers depend on native reporters for a lot of their protection in Gaza.

Video from the scene of Monday’s assault exhibits a physician standing at an entrance to the hospital – the primary one in southern Gaza – holding up bloodied garments to indicate journalists following the primary strike. All of the sudden there’s a blast, sending folks working for canopy as glass shatters. A person injured by the blast is seen making an attempt to pull himself to security.

One other graphic video, captured on a livestream by al-Ghad TV, exhibits a number of emergency employees responding to the primary strike close to the highest flooring of Nasser hospital as a variety of journalists within the background seize the scene.

A staircase, the place journalists typically collect to get views throughout Khan Younis, is seen within the footage. A strike then instantly hits the emergency employees and journalists, sending smoke and rubble within the air. No less than one physique is seen within the aftermath.

Reuters information company stated its cameraman, Husam al-Masri, was amongst these killed. He had been working a reside TV feed on the roof and it shut down on the immediate of the preliminary strike. Hatem Khaled, one other contractor additionally working for Reuters as a photographer, was injured within the second strike, in keeping with witnesses.

The company stated it was devastated and “urgently searching for extra data”.

AP stated Mariam Dagga, a contract journalist working for it, was additionally killed. The information company stated it was “shocked and saddened” by the 33-year-old’s dying.

The others killed had been Al Jazeera’s Mohammad Salama, Center East Eye freelancer Ahmed Abu Aziz and photographer Moaz Abu Taha. US TV community NBC stated Taha didn’t work for it, as had been initially reported. Reuters stated he had labored with a number of information organisations, together with Reuters.

The Hamas-run Civil Defence stated considered one of its members was amongst these killed, AFP information company reported.

The top of the World Well being Group stated 4 well being employees had been additionally killed, and condemned the strike.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus stated the realm that was hit homes the hospital’s emergency division, the inpatient ward and the surgical unit – along with the emergency staircase which had additionally been broken.

Hadil Abu Zaid, a programme officer for British-based charity Medical Support for Palestinians, stated in an announcement despatched to media that she was visiting the ICU “when explosions tore via the working theatre proper subsequent to us”.

“The killed and injured had been in all places,” she stated, including that the scene was “insufferable”.

UK International Secretary David Lammy stated he was “horrified” by the lethal strike and repeated the federal government’s name for “an instantaneous ceasefire”.

Monday’s assault comes two weeks after six journalists, together with 4 from Al Jazeera, had been killed in an Israeli targeted attack close to al-Shifa Hospital in Gaza Metropolis.

The UN’s human rights office condemned that attack, calling it a grave breach of worldwide regulation.

The IDF stated it had focused Anas al-Sharif, a distinguished Al Jazeera reporter, alleging he had “served as the top of a terrorist cell in Hamas”.

The CPJ stated Israel had failed to offer proof to again up its allegations.

The warfare was triggered by the Hamas-led assault on Israel on 7 October, wherein about 1,200 folks had been killed and 251 others taken to Gaza as hostages.

Israel responded with an enormous navy offensive, which has killed greater than 62,686 Palestinians, in keeping with figures from Gaza’s Hamas-run well being ministry, which the UN considers dependable.

Related posts

US to cease Palestinians attending UN assembly in New York

Fired CDC director Dr Susan Monarez says RFK ‘weaponising public well being’

Portray looted by Nazis has vanished once more, say Argentine police